Dear Afrolems lovers,
Hope Your weekend is awesome so far…So this weekend i had a hearty meal..i would like to call it Jollof Rice with a twist. Some people say its called Jellof Rice and for my Non-Nigerian friends its Tomato Rice. Anyway here is the recipe with some pictures to hopefully inspire you to create this beautiful meal.
*5 pieces Chicken
*2 Cups of Rice
*7 small Tomatoes
*5 pieces of pepper (yes i like my food spicy)
* 1/2 green and red bell peppers
*3 Cooking spoons of oil (could be vegetable, canola, peanut, olive)
*cole slaw pack ( carrots, cabbage, onions)
* 1 sausage (chicken or pork)
*5 pieces of shrimp chopped
* 1 stick of plantain
* 5 cubes of Maggi Cube
* 1 teaspoon of curry
* a pinch of thyme
* 1 bulb of Onion
* 1 table spoon of tomato puree
* 1 Tablespoon of Mayonnaise ( Or any salad dressing of Your Choice)
* 3 teaspoons of salt
* 2 table spoons of dry pepper
* 3 Cups of water
* Wash the Chicken and boil with one cup of water, one tablespoon of dry pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 cubes of Maggi cube and a table spoon of chopped onions for 20 minutes.
* Wash the tomato and pepper and blend and boil till the water dries. But reserve one piece of tomato for the salad.
*Wash the rice till the water is reasonably clear and set aside
* Boil the sausage
* Chop up the bell peppers and onions
* Separate the chicken from its stock and heat up one spoon of oil and fry the chicken till brown and set aside
*Heat up the remaining oil and fry the onions, blended tomato and tomato puree.
* Add the Chicken stock, curry, thyme, maggi and shrimp
*Add the washed rice and stir in once and add water allow to cook on low heat till the rice is soft.
*Mix the coleslaw, sausages and mayonaise
* Cut the plantain in whatever shape is desired and fry.
* When Rice is soft, take it off the fire and serve warm.
By Now you get the idea that it was indeed a hearty meal…Have fun making it
Tagged: africa/nigeria food stuff in mississauga, afrolems, jellof, jellof rice, jollof rice, nigerian dinner food recipes, nigerian dishes pictures, nigerian food blog, nigerian food mississauga, nigerian food toronto